What are the post-study work visa options available for an international student in Canada?

As an international student, you are allowed to apply for a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) visa upon successful completion of your education from a recognised Canadian university. The duration of your work visa depends on your course duration. This is an ‘open work’ with no restriction on the nature of your job or the employer.

Further details of your post-study work visa, the Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) in Canada are as follows:

What is the nature of the Visa?

It is a Work Visa which allows international students to work full-time without any restriction on the number of hours per week.

Do I need an employer to sponsor to apply for this visa?

You may not need a sponsor letter from an employer. Your visa is independent of employers meaning you may switch jobs and the PGWP visa doesn’t restrict you to one particular employer.

However, you will need a letter from the University confirming your education completion for the visa application.

Can the PGWP visa be applied within Canada?

Yes, you may apply for this visa while in Canada upon graduating successfully from a recognised university.

When can you apply for the visa?

As said earlier you could apply for this visa after completion of your degree.

What is the total duration of the visa?

A maximum of 3 years work visa if your course duration is 2 years or more

If your course duration was less than 2 years but more than 8 months, you would get a work visa for the exact duration of your course period (For example 10 months visa for a 10 months course)

What is the application fee?

CDN $255  (subject to change – please check with the Canadian embassy for the most recent fee)

Is it possible to bring family or dependents on this visa?

Yes, you can.

Does the PGWP visa entitle to permanent residency in Canada?

Yes, one can become a permanent resident of Canada while in PGWP visa, but you may have to apply to appropriate schemes.

Details of the same can be found on the Canadian immigration website.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck!

Join the Discussion

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *