This article focuses on informing you on the process of applying for a medical degree in the United States.
You need to complete a four year long undergraduate course followed by three to seven years of specialised study.
- There are hundreds of institutions across America that provide medical degrees for international students. The entry requirements will differ depending on what state and what university you choose to apply to.
- In general, the basic requirements to be accepted to an undergraduate medical course in America include
- Having completed and gotten good grades in your A-Levels in biology and chemistry. And your third A-Level should be in either physics or maths.
- Your GPA should be at least 3.0. Or something equivalent to this.
- If you come from a non-English speaking country, you will need to prove your English proficiency by taking one of the English language tests.
- The main ones that tend to be accepted are TOEFL and IELTS.
- You will need to score well in these in order to be accepted into university in America.
- The usual minimum ranges between 60 and 90 points, in the TOEFL test.
- The usual entrance exams for a medical course in America are ACT, SAT, and MCAT.
- The SAT or ACT are usually taken by people applying to an undergraduate medical course and the MCAT is taken by people looking to apply to a master’s program.
- Multi Mini Interviews are a way of assessing your abilities by having you part-take in a number of different stations, each of which will test a different aspect of your abilities.
- Once you decide what university you would like to apply to you can check their website for more in-depth information on what to expect from each station and how to prepare for it.
Application is done directly to the university of your choice.
Different universities will require different documentation, but usually, they will ask you to provide
- A completed application form
- Evidence of your grades
- Recommendation letters (depending on the institution you might be asked to provide up to three)
- A personal statement
- A copy of your passport
- As mentioned earlier you will need to provide evidence of your English language proficiency (i.e., a TOEFL or an EILTS certificate)
- Proof that you will be able to pay for your studies
- Lastly, you will need to pay an application fee between £35 and £75.
The application deadline is usually around January, but this might differ depending on the university so be sure to double-check the specific deadline of the university you are considering applying to.
FEES FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS
Tuition fees for international students range from £24,319 to £45,607 depending on the state and institution the prices might differ, so do check the tuition fees for the specific university that you are considering applying to.
SCHOLARSHIPS AVAILABLE FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS
- There are plenty of scholarships to choose from. Unfortunately, most of them are for people studying for a master’s degree.
- However, there are some scholarships available for international undergraduates, like the American University Emerging Global Leader Scholarship, which is for people studying at the American University in Washington DC.
- You might also qualify for the Surfshark Privacy and Security Scholarship; this scholarship is available to students of all nationalities studying in America and it gifts the recipient with £1,520.
This brings us to the end of this article. We hope you leave feeling informed, and if you would like to read about other countries on this topic, please do check out our other work on this.